More national parks, more animals - into Kasane, Zimbabwe’s Victoria Falls...Zambia too!


 February 13-17th 2020
After the elephant reminded us of our size and vulnerability, we were on the lookout, but mostly saw giraffes

 Shy, but curious we looked at each other while we had stopped and they crossed the road: Yes, this is your land...we are just riding through....thanks!


and Zebras.

 Yellow - billed Hornbill

 They love to eat the rubber off the car windows and windshields!

This one is a Southern Ground Hornbill

Kasane was a good place to take a days rest, so we stayed in a lodge that had fixed, big tents and enjoyed their meals and beautiful gardens. These giant tents had an outside bathroom with a shower attached in the back. First time I took a shower, touching the hot water valve to turn it off again, I got an electric shock...strong enough, I didn’t want to touch it again to turn it off. After that the electricity was out and the management was friendly and sorry and offered us a room (normally $100) for the night until the problem is fixed. Well taken! But we left our gear in the tent and planned to move back the next day after things are back in order - hopefully.
The electrician gave us the thumbs up the next day (he had to be probed and prompted to do the job - don’t forget, we are on “African time” here). All was good and running properly, he assured. Lights were working, but the valves on the shower were still under power  and I got such a shock when I touched one of them, it buzzed through me for longer than I care to even mentioned. It seemed a lot stronger than the first time. Standing there naked.....screaming.....betrayed by the electrician....James reported the incident to the front desk immediately and we earned ourselves another day/night in that fancy bedroom without getting charged for the nights stay (though I was already.....charged up to my hair roots).
Honestly, I liked the tent better ...out in the rain forest it smells of Africa...and the birds were so close. This fancy hotel room could be anywhere in this world with its air condition atmosphere, the fluffy, white towels, the lotions and potions, the humming refrigerator and the big screen television. Do I sound ungrateful? Maybe I am.......And no, I didn’t complain - I wouldn’t! They did the right thing. I wasn’t about to touch those shower valves ever again.

We left Kasane cycled on through another big stretch of the open Zambezi National Park paralleling the Zambezi River on our way to Victoria Falls....where the river falls into an enormous gorge. 100km to go with a bit of headwind, but a good quiet road and perfect weather.

Still a little weary about meeting elephants, we did see a herd of them on the other side of the road. While they all moved pretty quickly into the bushes, the dominating male faced us...making sure we are no trouble. We moved slowly passed him, but didn’t stop. I still see that beautiful, majestic, giant in front of me and that picture will stay in my mind. But we were no trouble and neither was he.

We stayed for another day in Vic Falls



Pictures speak louder than words:





And then moved across the famous bridge spanning the gorge:



...to the Zambian side of this spectacle:






Now hanging in Livingstone for a day to wait out the rain and even though we got soaked to the bone walking the trails along the waterfalls....it “was Zambezi River Water Spray” and NOT RAIN which “rained” on us.


We need to pedal over 1000km to get to the border of Malawi. I am saying this because we got a 30 day visa for $50 each for Zimbabwe AND Zambia.
We better gear up dry out and get going soon.

Comments